Vocal Trash Is Looking For Fan Ideas!
By now, you know the mantra: Recycle, Reduce and Reuse!
We’ve been talking about these very things at Vocal Trash for years now and you’ve been learning all about how to reuse, how we recycle, and how we can save the planet by reducing the amount of waste that ends up in landfills. Whether it’s food waste, product packaging, old clothing, scrap metal, or whatever – we can make a difference by being more aware of our environment and how fragile it really is.
Facts About The Environment:
- If just 25% of US families used 10 fewer plastic bags a month, we’d save 2.5 billion+ bags a year!
- Leaves account for 75% of our solid waste in the autumn months (totaling 24 million tons!)
- Americans consume 850 million trees and use 50 million tons of paper annually!
- Every ton of recycled paper saves 380 gallons of oil.
- Replacing 75 watt bulbs with energy efficient bulbs would prevent 1 ton of CO2 emissions a year.
- 1% of our landfills are full of disposable baby diapers, which take 500 years to decompose.
Why Recycle, Why Reduce, Why Reuse?
- We’re running out of room to store our trash. After all, who wants to live on top of or next to a garbage dump? Many cities already have to ship their waste somewhere else. With so many people, it’s hard to find space!
- Some resources like trees and fossil fuels are not here in limitless supply. Eventually we will run out! Learning to become more energy independent and planting more trees is essential!
- Burning more fossil fuels during the manufacturing process of metals, plastics, and other goods creates a lot of air pollution and contributes to global warming. To make the world a safer and more sustainable place, we need to reduce our level of polluting by reusing what we already have.
- We can protect our planet! As you know, our current waste management system is NOT perfect! Often times, metal drums bust open and spill toxins into our soil. Corporate and household waste often ends up in our streams, on our beaches, and littering our environment. Why not reuse these things instead and keep the world a beautiful place?
What We’re Asking of YOU…
In these videos, you’ve seen many of the ways that we rescue items from the landfill and reuse them. Now we’re looking for YOUR ideas! What have you creatively reused in your home? What uses can you find for egg cartons, plastic jugs, scrap metal, old paper towel rolls, old packaging, old light bulbs, and other items? We would love to hear your comments below.
And as always, remember to…
“THINK…before You Throw It Away!”
Vocal Trash is a troupe of environmental entertainers who have been engaging audiences with their unique and exciting brand of entertainment for a decade from New York to Seattle. Whether in Madison Square Garden or the Venetian Hotel and Casino, Vocal Trash is environmentally conscious using upcycled materials on stage. The group asks that you "THINK… before you throw it away!"